There are many delicious authentic Malaysian dishes out there. What might look like a lot of time and effort, I have to say that when you learn to make it on your own, it’s not as difficult and time-consuming as you would have thought! The techniques are somewhat almost the same. Since my husband and his family has never stopped talking about loving this particular dish, I had to teach myself (with the help of my mum) to make this dish from scratch as well as the “instant” way 😉
So here it is, the recipe:
- 8 shallots, peeled
- 10 dried chillies, seeds separated (optional)
- 4 fresh red chillies, seeds separated (optional)
- 5 candlenuts
- ½ a head of garlic, peeled
- 2 inch of ginger
- 2 lemongrass, roughly chopped
- 20g belachan (shrimp paste)
- 1.5kg chicken, any part preferred but tastier with bony bits
- 3 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2½ cups of chicken stock
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 star anises
- 4 cloves
- 6 green cardamoms
- 6 curry leaves
- Brown sugar
- Oil (any preferred cooking oil)
- Combine all spice paste ingredients in a food processor until it becomes a paste (for more flavour, make the paste a day before for the ingredients to marinate)
- Marinate the chicken with the spice paste for no longer than 30 minutes
- Heat oil in a big wok or pot then add in the cinnamon stick, star anises, cloves, green cardamoms and curry leaves. Stir until fragrant.
- Add in the chicken and every drop of marinate and fry on a low heat
- Pour in the chicken stock, turn the heat to high and bring it to a boil then let it simmer for about 10 minutes
- Add in the potatoes and again, let it simmer for 30 minutes until potatoes soften
- Pour in the coconut milk, a salt to taste and brown sugar, leave it to simmer for 20 minutes more, and you are done!
Best served with roti/paratha or rice but you can also have it with any fresh bread as well!
The easier way that I personally do (for a quick “craving” fix) is.. I get myself the instant Chicken Curry paste (my mum will usually DHL some to me – “Mak Nyonya” ones), add in a cinnamon stick, coconut milk, chicken, potatoes, add some salt and brown sugar and voilà!
Selamat menjamu selera!